Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Builder or Breaker?

Mark Curphey wrote an excellent piece not long ago about whats wrong with the Information Security industry. For those that haven't read it, the piece is here.

One of the biggest gripes I have had about my job was often the feeling that I'm not a builder. That I'm a breaker - or at least have a strong feeling at times all I'm doing is pointing out what's wrong rather than what's right.

How many of you are guilty of this?

Reading this article made me take a good long think about how I operate and made me realise that I'm closer to being a builder than I previously thought. In the process of mapping out my career plan and training plan for the next 12 months, its fairly evident that the skills I'm focusing on right now that I'm on the right path... or at the very least a better one according to Mark.

Kudos to Mark for the advice.

No comments: